We all know there are so several diverse coaching methods, education programs, and coaching personalities. Numerous gymnastics coaches efficiently get their gymnasts more robust, but they do not essentially integrate adequate activity certain coaching into their plans. I have witnessed gymnasts gain from the general strength workouts such as push ups, but when it will come time to carry out particular expertise the gymnast’s muscle tissue are not constantly ready, accustomed to the sequence of movements for the abilities, or sturdy adequate in every position necessary to safely complete the talent.
Gymnasts genuinely require a range of coaching to contain sport particular education besides general energy conditioning in purchase to much more closely simulate the expertise in our sport. For case in point, a lot of straight arm workout routines such as the entrance lateral raise, press handstand, or planche drills a lot more closely simulate gymnastics capabilities than bent arm workouts these kinds of as the press up, bench press, or reverse dips.
Here is one particular straight arm exercising that has aided a lot of gymnasts strengthen their chest, shoulders, and back muscle tissues, becoming more powerful in two really essential motions. Because the gymnast often must be able to open up and near the shoulder angle in the course of skills on uneven bars, I have incorporated a really valuable workout which incorporates both up and down actions. This one should help her find out to successfully changeover from 1 arm motion to the up coming with ease. Photograph your gymnast carrying out a glide kip, forged handstand, obvious hip handstand. She will have to reverse shoulder actions numerous instances inside this limited period of time. After you see the shoulder actions necessary to hook up these skills you will see the motives I had for incorporating two workout routines into one drill far more than a decade in the past. This physical exercise in fact alternates the motions of opening and then closing the shoulder angle.
Lie Down Forged/Kip Drill (Barbell / Toning Bar)
1. Spot your gymnast in the course of this exercise. Give her total instructions ahead of she begins the physical exercise.
two. Environment Up: Have your gymnast lie on her back again between two folded panel mats with her arms earlier mentioned her head. Her head need to remain between the mats, but her hands and wrists ought to go past the mats in order to let the bar to nearly touch the floor soon after it is lifted over head for complete range of movement.
3. The folded mats need to be a few inches increased than your gymnast whilst she is lying among them for protection reasons. The bar have to be extended sufficient so that every conclude can rest on the middle of 1 of the mats. The bar will be lifted from and returned to the mats without having touching your gymnast. There should be ample clearance for your gymnast to slide in or out although the bar rests on the mats. Even though you will be recognizing your gymnast, the mats will also support stop the bar from touching her. If 1 mat on every side is not large sufficient, you should use two folded mats on every aspect. If the bar is introduced down way too quickly or falls, it should land on the mats, not your gymnast. This is a quite secure physical exercise when the mentor and gymnast preserve safety in thoughts.
four. As soon as the mats are set up, location the bar on the mats and make sure it will not drop among the mats or roll off.
five. Starting up Situation: As soon as the mats and bar are in place, instruct your gymnast to sit amongst the mats, slide her legs underneath the bar, and then lie down. She must placement herself so that the bar is above her hips.
six. After positioned, let your gymnast to grasp the bar and then straighten her arms. Instruct your gymnast to maintain her arms straight, but not to lock them.
seven. Be cautious the bar does not shift to an unsafe starting up situation.
8. Subsequent, instruct her to lift the bar up toward ceiling and then towards the flooring previously mentioned her head to simulate a forged to handstand motion with her upper body.
nine. Remind your gymnast to continue to keep the bar securely and then enable her to raise the bar off the floor, toward ceiling again, and then lower it to the mat above her hips to simulate a kip with her higher body.
ten. Permit your gymnast to keep on with several repetitions if she is ready. Inform her that it ought to be a continuous motion as soon as she is comfy.
11. Your gymnast will probably need to have far more place lifting the bar from the mat (the initiation stage) which requires the shoulders (deltoids) than she will on the return phase which requires the again (latissimus) muscle groups. Be prepared to spot all phases of this physical exercise. You can have one particular mentor place every portion. To location the raise from the mat, kneel on one of the mats to aid your gymnast raise off the mat. Kneel in close proximity to her head to location the raise from the flooring. Make positive you can reach the bar, especially when it is previously mentioned your gymnast’s physique.
12. Start off with the lightest bar possible, probably even a broomstick to make sure proper safety and form. When accustomed to this exercising, your gymnast can use weights on a barbell or a toning bar, but it should constantly count upon her energy and expertise. If you are employing a bar with no weights, you can wrap a thick towel around every single stop to aid avoid your gymnast’s knuckles from touching the floor.
The next physical exercise is a lot more obvious. This one particular also will help the gymnast with certain gymnastics expertise due to the fact she will be in and out of a handstand. The Planche – Virtual Handstand – Planche Drill is a great exercise for human body tightness, manage, higher entire body energy, and main energy. This drill is an acceptable workout for gymnasts on so numerous levels, such as individuals expected to execute the solid handstand and very clear hip handstand on bars in the close to foreseeable future.
one. Instruct your gymnast to stand with her again to a recognizing block or mat stack, spot her palms on the flooring, and then location a single foot/ankle on the block. After your gymnast has 1 foot/ankle on the block, she can then area her other foot/ankle up on the block.
two. Now your gymnast ought to be in an elevated thrust up position with her ft on the block. Your gymnast’s legs, hips, and chest need to stay off the ground through this physical exercise.
three. Now that your gymnast is in the elevated press up placement, instruct her to transfer her palms closer to the spotting block and her shoulders forward in get to type a slight planche place.
four. When your gymnast is in the planche placement with her feet on the block, instruct her to squeeze her buttocks and then to pull her tummy button in. You should see the reduced part of your gymnast’s back elongate into the proper lower back place for a handstand (pelvic tilt).
5. Following your gymnast has fashioned the right condition with her lower human body, instruct her to press down on the flooring and pull in her chest concurrently. The portion of your gymnast’s back among her shoulder blades must rise toward the ceiling. Your gymnast has just carried out a protraction / shoulder shrug in the planche press up place. To support train the shoulder shrug touch the part of your gymnast’s back that is in between her shoulder blades and request her to press up on your hand to type the rounded back.
six. Instruct your gymnast to maintain that limited shape during the relaxation of the workout.
7. To start off the workout, instruct your gymnast to carry one particular of her legs up toward the ceiling, but to maintain her other foot/ankle on the block. Your gymnast’s physique, with the exception of the foot/ankle even now supported on the block ought to have moved as one unit up to the single leg, or virtual, handstand. The leg that is pointed toward the ceiling must be the one forming the handstand shape together with the higher human body.
8. Your gymnast’s shoulders, hips, and a single ankle must be directly earlier mentioned her arms whilst the other leg remains supported on the block. Inform your gymnast that her hips and shoulders should continue to be square with the block. Her buttocks should be under, stomach in, hip opened, upper body in, and shoulders in a shrug/stretched position. Remaining square and limited is not constantly easy for the gymnast.
nine. When your gymnast is in the proper solitary leg, or virtual, handstand placement she can get started the return movement by little by little reducing her free leg again to the block and shifting her shoulders somewhat forward so she returns to the planche push up position. Your gymnast’s physique must transfer as one device to the beginning situation. Instruct your gymnast to maintain her head in line with her spine, neither tucked in nor tilted back again.
ten. Following, instruct your gymnast to return to the single leg, or virtual, handstand situation by lifting her free of charge leg back again up earlier mentioned her hips so that she is vertical, with the exception of her supported leg. She must also open her armpits back again up, and square her shoulders and hips with the block. Your gymnast need to bring her shoulders and head into alignment for the appropriate handstand shape yet again. Instruct your gymnast to look at the flooring just above her arms for the planche and then at the block for the handstand.
eleven. As soon as your gymnast understands the movement of the virtual handstand to planche and again to the handstand, question her to comprehensive a few repetitions prior to stopping if she is able.
12. Advise your gymnast not to planche too far forward till she builds strength and turns into really relaxed so she does not collapse.
thirteen. You have to also notify your gymnast to converse when she is fatigued so that you can permit her to rest. This workout puts tremendous force on your gymnast’s wrists. You should let her to rest when she communicates that her wrists are receiving tired.
This exercising, when executed accurately, carefully simulates the shoulder motions of the forged handstand and clear hip handstand on uneven bars. You can use a ground bar as lengthy as the flooring bar is stable.
The consistent adjust in shoulder angle causes a modify in the demand from customers on your gymnast’s upper entire body muscle groups. Your gymnast should develop toughness in a wide selection of positions after performing this drill often and regularly more than the training course of time.
As you can see, these workouts are so a lot various from drive ups due to the fact of the straight arm training which so carefully simulates gymnastics abilities. Your gymnast’s total upper entire body will be challenged with this exercising. If done regularly and consistently this drill ought to aid enormously with overall upper physique strength in addition to specific gymnastics capabilities.
Although the push up and bench press are fantastic workouts, they do not really simulate the gymnastics capabilities of female gymnasts. gymnastics music need to be simulated in a secure way in get to teach a gymnast’s mind and body to perform gymnastics skills safely and securely and efficiently.